[mythtv-users] recommendation for new combined frontend+backend?

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Mon Oct 31 20:52:14 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 31, 2011 8:41 PM, "Frank Hartmann" <soundart at gmx.net>
wrote:
> In the past I did not let my system run always on, but let it manage
> power-up and down itself by setting a bios timer. This way it runs only
> for 2-3 hours a day. This was somewhat difficult to configure, but
> worked quite ok for the past years.

I have an older frontend with a normal power suppply.  In the interest
of cutting electricity, what I ended up doing is installing powernowd to
scale the cpu frequency (down to .35 mhz for most of the time), reducing
consumption that way.

I also installed as my xscreensaver a script to kill mythfrontend, hulu,
and firefox and to suspend itself (in case I am running one of those)
after 125 minutes of inactivity.  This script also runs at 12:30am every
night (as a cron job).  Any key from the remote and the frontend resumes
and reconnects my samba shares, mouse, and restarts mythfrontend.  This
reduced activity from 24 hours a day to roughly 9 hours a day (including
the time outs, etc.)... I could get that down even more if there as a
timer script in mythfrontend where it would launch a program if on one
of its menu screens for awhile.  (I made it 125 minutes in case we were
watching a movie in hulu desktop).

I didn't think I could convince the wife to manually put the computer to
sleep by adding a menu option in mythfrontend, so I didn't bother with
that.  This way it all happens automatically.
--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com