[mythtv-users] How do I retrieve channels from schedules direct for FIOS?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 15:45:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 8:41 AM, James <virtue at rocketmonkeys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you should read this thread and possibly do what Michael
>> suggests in the last post:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/489896
>> /Brian/
>
> Thanks for the link Brian.  I actually found that thread just before
> you posted, and I was able to get it working.  The last post did not
> work for me:
>
> mythfilldatabase --sourceid <number> --do-channel-updates \
> --only-update-channels --do-not-filter-new-channels
>
> I'm not sure why, but it produced 0 channels.  It may have given the
> "no channels to fetch" or something.  I had to do the instructions
> here (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_MythTV_for_the_HDHomeRun_Prime)
> posted in that thread message #3.  It's a strange & complicated
> procedure, but it actually worked.  I wonder why setting up a tuner
> with a video source and pressing "fetch listings" doesn't work, but
> creating a dummy recorder and doing the same thing does.  Weird.  At
> any rate, I have my listings working great.  Thanks guys!

Because until the HDHR Prime, no HDHomeRun was tuneable by virtual
channel numbers (the ones you get from the listings source).  I've
spoken with the SiliconDust guys and they're going to add something to
the API to allow us to determine if a cablecard is present, and thus
we'll be able to enable/disable the scanning and fetch listings
options as appropriate.  Thus, the workaround will be unnecessary by
the time .25 is out.

Robert