[mythtv-users] Looking for a shortcut ...

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 17:04:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 20:43 -0400, Mepis Rocks wrote:
> The .deb file should work with debian even though it's was packaged
> for ubuntu.  You can install it by running:
>
> su -c 'dpkg -i myth_deb_filename.deb'
>
> Just make sure you have the pre-reqs installed before.
>
> When you do decide to upgrade, it should be dead easy.  I've used
> mepis, a debian derivative, together with myth for years.  It's as
> easy as enabling the debian multimedia repository.  Down side?
> Versions lag, so it's not the bleeding edge of myth, but I'm at .24
> and it's very stable.

Thanks a million ... this totally worked!  I sorted through and made
sure all the pre-reqs were properly installed, grabbed the .deb's from
my Ubuntu machine, and everything installed with relatively little pain
(I had to actually pull the binary .debs from the web a second time,
because I had a 32/64 bit inconsistency between my desktop and the
machine I pulled from, but that was also straightforward).

I am now happier than a clam in my own little 64bit debian world,
running against mythbuntu LTS servers.

Thanks again for coming through for me!
--
Doug