[mythtv-users] Best front-end machine?

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 12:35:04 UTC 2011

Brendan Pike <brendan at dbinformatics.com.au> wrote on Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 02:52:24PM +0930:
> Isn't it a bit slow booting from a USB unless your using USB3 maybe?

I have two frontends booting from USB2 sticks. I haven't timed them,
but I'd guess they take about 1-2 minutes to boot. That's too slow for
me, so I suspend them when not in use. They wake from suspend almost
instantly.

My USB sticks are the Patriot Xporter XT Boost and the ADATA Superior
Series USB3, both 16GB. I bought the Patriot because it got good
reviews for boot speed, and it does boot faster than the ADATA in my
setup. I bought the ADATA because I wanted to test running from USB3.
However, I haven't been able to get booting from USB3 to work. My
research at the time suggested that Ubuntu's kernel needs to be
recompiled to support booting from USB3, and I haven't taken the time
to do that yet.