[mythtv-users] Best front-end machine?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 4 18:43:23 UTC 2011

On 09/04/2011 02:11 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 01:11:36PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>       That's pretty much true of any low profile machine. It's not just
>>> limited to Atom based machines. Lack of flexibility is a trade off for
>>> greatly reduced size.
>> Losing flexibility in adding more hardware is a trade off of choosing a
>> small case.  Using a processor that can't process the data it's given in
>> any case--large or small--is just choosing to limit yourself for no good
>> reason, IMHO.
>      Cutting the cost in half or by two thirds is actually a great reason.
>
> [deletia]
>
>      When compared to a Mini (or better hardware), an ION is cheap enough
> just to try out as an experiment even if you aren't expecting it to work.

Which is why I don't do off-the-shelf boxes like the Mac Mini or ASRock
Vision 3D.  You can get a real computer for the cost of an Atom+ION box
and that runs at nearly the same power usage.

They were only shown as proof that small form factor can be done with a
real processor in such a way that I didn't become the tech support for
random people who read my post--instead, ASRock can handle tech
support.  Or the reader can actually read some of the articles about how
to build their own small-form-factor PC with Core 2/Core i/Athlon II
processor and that idles at low power usage and save themselves money
(and be their own tech support :).  Below are a few old articles I've
linked before:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/25w-performance-pc,2551.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-e7200-g31,2039.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-atom-efficiency,2069.html

>      If you are really worried about the future, then there is no substitute
> for building/buying something that can be upgraded when your requirements
> change. Otherwise you are bound to have more expensive doorstops versus
> cheaper doorstops.

Agreed.  I'd build.  I wouldn't get a mobile processor (because those
are extremely expensive--which is why Mac Mini and ASRock Vision 3D are
expensive).  And, I'd get a system for equal or lower price than an
Atom+ION--but that still idles at nearly the same power usage as the
Atom system.

Mike