[mythtv-users] Seek(550978166583626, SEEK_SET) Failed, eno: Invalid argument (22)

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Sep 7 10:17:55 UTC 2011

On pretty current (within the last few days) master, I imported a
(Matroska container with a V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC video and A_AC3 audio) video
file into my myth database but forgot to do a seek table [re]build on it
(i.e. with mythcommflag --rebuild --file ...).

Not surprisingly, when I tried to seek in the file during playback I got
an error:

FileRingBuf(/video/mythtv/2864_20110523213100.mpg):
Seek(550978166583626, SEEK_SET) Failed
			eno: Invalid argument (22)

Which perhaps a bit more surprisingly led to the player quiting playback
completely.  It seems to me that there is room for any of a number of
improvement possibilities here:

1. Easiest would be to simply popup a dialog saying that seeking cannot
   function because there is no seek table for the recording, or
2. Same as #1 but add an option to build the seek table, or
3. When a recording is started, check for the seek table and if missing
   build it without even asking and just ignore seek requests until
   there is enough information to seek, or
4. Same as #3 but if the user tries to seek before enough information is
   in the seek file, popup and give them the choice to wait for the
   seek table build to complete, with a progress bar or return to their
   recording (without any seek possibilities), with an option to be
   notified (i.e. by popup when the seek table build is complete).

Cheers,
b.