[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase problems

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Fri Sep 9 19:56:31 UTC 2011

On 08/31/2011 09:19 AM, Dan Wilson wrote:
> I recently moved my mythtv setup from Time-Warner cable to Dish Network
> (we moved out into the country).
>
> With the Dish Network lineup configured on Schedules Direct, I get
> mythfilldatabase failures. --dd-grab-all never works (timeouts).

Hello Dan and the list.

I seem to be having a similar problem to many of the others with
mythfilldatabase.

Running a mythfilldatabase takes easily over an hour.

I am running Fedora 15 x86_64, mysql 5.5, and using dish network.  I am
not sure when the slowness with mythfilldatabase began because I usually
run it out of cron and just simply didn't notice.  I just added dish
network about 9 months ago so I was probably running Fedora 13 or 14 at
the time and didn't experience the slowness then.

Following the thread on this topic, I have checked the suggestions:

The mysql database is on an xfs filesystem and is the same as when I was
on older Fedora releases.  The barrier=0 isn't applicable.

I have > 10gb of space in /tmp and the permissions are 1777.

The disk I/O is quite high while mythfilldatabase is running.  atop
shows the mirror with the database on it to be very busy.

I believe Dan ordered an SSD to work around the issue, but this seems
like sort sort of incompatibility has crept up.  Unfortunately, I don't
know if it is something in fedora 15 like the kernel, mysql, filesystem,
etc or something in Mythtv.

I would welcome any suggestions to try to resolve this issue.

Michael