[mythtv-users] scheduler settling with conflicts where they are resolvable

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 9 22:53:56 UTC 2011

On 09/09/2011 06:05 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 11-09-09 05:51 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Not according to the printsched output you posted.   The one and only
>> occurrence of Person of Interest on that schedule is:
>>
>> 2011-09-08 08:13:57.424734 I  Person of Interest - Pilot         84-77 WWNY    22 21:00-22:00  2 0 0  A C -3
> But WWNY is available on both digital and analog.  Perhaps I am being
> misguided by an assumption I have been following all along and that
> assumption being that the (schedules direct) guide data for digital
> channels and analog channels (i.e. those with the same callsign) will be
> equally present.  Perhaps that is not the case?

Not according to the data you had at the time you created schedule.txt
.  You had a showing of Person of Interest on 84-77 WWNY , but none on
any of the analog channels.

Granted, it could have recorded The Office, Grey's Anatomy, and Person
of Interest on the digital tuner as long as it used the 84 mux--but
since it had already placed 2 higher-priority shows (The Office and
Grey's Anatomy) on the 109 mux with the Ontario channels and the Ontario
channels didn't air Person of Interest, it got stuck because the it
couldn't move one show at a time to resolve the Person of Interest
conflict--it would have had to move both shows (The Office and Grey's
Anatomy) to the same mux with Person of Interest, and I'm guessing it
doesn't try that hard (because then it's getting to far too many cases
to test when it tries moving everything to each possible showing).

That said, please do send me the data from your channels.  If what I
think is happening is happening, there's a way to fix the UI to allow
you to fix the problem without causing new problems with channel
priorities.  (Basically I think it will require the same additions to
the setup UI that allowing you to reconfigure your Live TV capture card
and your recording input preferences will require, so--given proof--I
can put it on the list.  I'd like to see your channels configuration,
though, to prove it.)

>> So, if you're saying there's now a showing on one of your analog
>> channels, that is probably one of the things that changed that caused
>> the scheduler to "strangely" schedule/place things differently such that
>> you didn't need an override--exactly what Kevin was talking about where
>> more information becomes available allowing MythTV to better optimize
>> usage of resources.  (Of course, before you do add any channel
>> priorities, please read and understand all of
>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html because it will have
>> other effects. :)  Adding a negative priority to the Ontario channels
>> (preferred approach) or a positive priority to the NY channels (a worse
>> approach of attempting to solve the same problem) will actually mean
>> that MythTV may choose to record a -3 priority show on WWNY rather than
>> a -2 priority show that airs only on CJOH.)
> Well, I don't care if the scheduler uses Ontario channels vs. NY
> channels.  Sometimes one is preferred, other times, the other is.  What
> would be ideal (and I know it doesn't happen since I've been down this
> road before) is that the scheduler just prefers the channels that yields
> the most recording from the multirec tuners.  If that means that the
> 109- channels is best, great but if it means that the 84- channels are
> the best choice, so be it.
>
>> How about you post your capturecard and cardinput tables along with the
>> schedule on your website instead of making me guess at all the possible
>> different configurations you might have that might make a difference?
>> :)  And, really, based on what you've said above, I'd like to see your
>> channel table, too.
> Well, perhaps we can short circuit all of this by either confirming or
> denying my above assumption.  If it's in fact a false assumption, then
> that probably does explain everything.
>
>> If you had done that, your capture cards and inputs should all be
>> starting at 1, not 19.
> Hrm.  My experience is that even when you delete all capture cards, it
> doesn't actually doesn't reset the index.  Witness:

Thus my post:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

which says to use "Delete all..." and then provides additional links:

Why the "Delete All" approach?
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/260095#260095

What's different about the "Delete All" buttons?
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/261243#261243

>> So, it seems you may have done that before, but
>> have since changed things around?
> Nope.  Not to the best of my recollection.

Then you didn't use Delete All (or used "Delete all capture cards on
pvr").  :)

If you have it configured properly--and it sounds like you may--it's not
a big deal, but it makes it a lot easier to verify that things are
configured properly (especially for someone who's reading --printsched
output with no other information provided) if everything starts at 1 and
there are no holes in the ID numbering.

That said, I don't see any reason why it would use card 19, then skip to
card 22 (ignoring 20 and 21) unless there were some input priorities or
a "Preferred Input" on a rule or something changed the order of inputs
in your cardinput table so that the virtual input order no longer
matches the virtual tuner (card) order (as virtual inputs are always
created with virtual card and virtual input order aligned).  So, you may
want to redo the capture cards, anyway.  Note, also, that if you do
/only/ "Delete all capture cards" (and not "Delete all video sources"),
you won't have to rescan channels or anything--you'll just re-create
capture cards (in the order you want Live TV to use them) and re-connect
inputs (in the order you want recordings to use them--which /may/ be a
different order from capture card/Live TV usage order).

Mike