[mythtv-users] Switching from cable to OTA?

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Sat Sep 10 01:50:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 19:03, Kris B. <krisbee at krisbee.com> wrote:

>  If you are in an area where you don't have any VHF stations (I don't, and
> I am between two markets), then the big behmouth isn't necessary, just get a
> UHF antenna and focus on that.

Unfortunately, about half my important stations are UHF and the other half
VHF (see my tvfool graph if you like: http://westbrook.com/tvfool.png).
There's only one station in the area I care about that's broadcasting from a
different location and distance (PBS 31), but it's higher power too, and I
receive it fine even with my indoor antenna pointed at the mountain.

> Everyone raves about the single and double bay bowtie antennas.  They are
> not intrusive, and work extremely well, and they are directional.

Thanks for that!  A little googling on single/double bay bowtie impresses
me.  But since I need VHS too, I guess I couldn't go with this approach
alone, could I.

>  I ended up homebrewing a Double Bay Gray Hoverman antenna, which is an
> open source design, and it pulls in both Charlotte, NC and Greensboro, NC,
> with almost all of the staions above 90% signal strength, no rotator needed
> in my case, and it is about 30 ft high (just slightly above my house).

You tempt me to go homebrew!  That would be satisfying on multiple levels.

> I lucked out due to circumstances, position, tree cover, land layout, etc.

I'm very lucky too, as I can literally see the mountaintop with no
obstructions, so I'm very optimistic -- once I get outdoors!

> But I am over the moon, and that antenna is what convinced me to cut cable
> and go with a full myth system.

I'm with you there, philosophically.  Unfortunately, here, to satisfy my
living room's occupants, I have to supplement with "ransom-vision" to get
the premiums (sigh)... but for anything that CAN be obtained over the air
(e.g. Sunday NFL), there's just no beating it!

What would you suggest I read up on, if I wanted to go homebrew too, that
would satisfy my need for both VHF and UHF?

Thanks again!
Eric