[mythtv-users] How reliable is Commercial skip?

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 10 22:01:53 UTC 2011

On 09/09/2011 19:51, Tim Draper wrote:

>     Often depends on your market - where in the world are you?
>

> UK, i get both DVB-S2 and DVB-T signals. i havent recorded/noted enough
> programs to see if it's related to certain DVB-x signal though.
>
> reading through the other replies, i suspected it was something todo
> with the broadcaster not sending reliable comm-skip data.

I'm in the UK using DVB-S/S2 and I use the silence detect script from
the wiki [1].  I find it works very well on most of the channels, only
occasionally getting it wrong in films that have silent moments.  This
is currently an add-on that you have to manually install, but it works
really well.  There seem to be a few caveats with it - I've had a couple
of issues running it on a recording that is still in progress and I
think you need to wait for the script to run before you start watching
the program or it wont pick up the breaks unless you exit back to the
watch recordings screen and restart playback.

Other than those couple of things it's been pretty good.

I'm hoping that someone will make this one of the built in detection
methods.  Mainly because everytime I upgrade Mythtv it overwrites
mythcommflag with the "real" one and I wonder why my commercial
detection is broken for a few moments before realising :-)

Robert.

[1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythcommflag-wrapper