[mythtv-users] How reliable is Commercial skip?

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 11 07:05:54 UTC 2011

On 11 Sep 2011, at 12:13 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 9/10/2011 18:01, Robert Longbottom wrote:
>> I'm hoping that someone will make this one of the built in detection
>> methods.  Mainly because everytime I upgrade Mythtv it overwrites
>> mythcommflag with the "real" one and I wonder why my commercial
>> detection is broken for a few moments before realising :-)
>
> Are you saying the database setting to define an alternate commercial
> flagger is being reset to default? Or are you actually just replacing
> the physical file with the alternate?

The latter. The approach taken on that wiki page is to replace the mythcommflag binary with a shell script that runs the custom silence detect method for certain White listed channels or runs the original mythcommflag for anything else. In reality I think I have all of my channels in the White list anyway.

So when I update mythtv to the latest fixes it replaces the wrapper script with the "correct" binary version of mythcommflag and I have to remember to go in and put the script back. (which I usually forget to do for a few days)

It's hardly a major ball ache but it would be nice if someone with sufficient knowhow implemented that commflagging approach in mythtv directly :-)

Robert.