[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Mon Sep 12 21:00:44 UTC 2011

On Monday, September 12, 2011 1:38 PM, "linux guy"
<linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

  Great discussion people.  I really appreciate the replies.
  I'm all ears for whatever hasn't been said yet.   Just call me
  Sponge !

Ok, then I will be the dissenter and write what was said in some
myth faq somewhere... running X doesn not have a terrible impact
on performance, it is easier to run mythtv-setup with it
installed, and if you install a small DE like fluxbox or icewm,
you are barely impacting your overall system.  In todays HD
space, you aren't taking up anything percentage-wise by
installing them, and then they are there when you need it.  You
can always drop to init 3 on a normal basis (but I don't see the
reason).

With today's processors/memory/hd space, it isn't something worth
going through the effort to do.

--
Kris B.
[1]krisbee at krisbee.com