[mythtv-users] Fwd: RC "Broadcast" flag (KQED, CableCard)

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 03:12:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
> Please keep the list posted, if you wouldn't mind, on your progress
> with the broadcast flag issue.  I have an acquaintance who does IT at
> KQED and who might be able to assist if your request goes nowhere.
>
> However, I have a question.  Please don't read anything into this, as
> I honestly don't know the answer: if setting the flag is in violation
> as your link suggests, why would CableCard devices be "obliged" to
> obey it?

Because CableLabs and the FCC are different folks :)  The FCC can say
you can't set the broadcast flag, but that doesn't stop CableLabs from
requiring that a CableCard device obey it if it's present and no CCI
info is.

Yes, I agree that it's kind of a crazy distinction, but I expect
that's how it's spun :)

Thanks for the offer of your contact, I'll keep you up to date.

Robert