[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:03:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm about to start building my Myth backend and I can't seem to find
> anything that discusses the pros and cons of installing the OS (Fedora 15)
> as console only or GUI, ie install KDE as well.
>
> So, other than a bit of disk space, is there any reason why I shouldn't
> install KDE when I set it up ?

The less you install, the less you have to worry about from a security point
of view.  Even though I run my MythTV systems on a closed network, I still
try to be security conscious.  I disable or completely uninstall all
services I'm not using (avahi, cups, etc.).  I don't install OpenOffice or
other large packages if I don't plan to use them.  If I need something, it's
a simple yum install to get it.

Taking this approach makes patching and upgrades a lot quicker since there's
less to download and install on each host.

/Brian/