[mythtv-users] Switching from cable to OTA?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Sep 13 15:31:50 UTC 2011

On 09/09/2011 06:57 PM, Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
> Let me rephrase.  I live in the same building as my landlord and I
> don't know what is permitted yet.  I am going to assume he's not gonna
> be cool with me modifying the crap out of his house, which is why I'm
> aiming for an indoor setup for starters.

Maybe you should think about approaching the matter from the other end.
Does the landlord have a flatscreen TV or one with a digital tuner? It's
quite likely.

You may want to start with a cheap indoor setup, but if you can get a
good OTA signal on *any* channel, you could then show him how great that
is ( a football game would be a good draw or maybe Nascar) and offer to
buy the bits necessary to mount a good external antenna on the chimney
and split off a feed to his apartment.

The bits you need besides the antenna are only about $30.00, plus the
cable. Since you are relatively close the Boston, you probably do not
need an amp on the input, just a good (ie not el-cheapo) splitter on the
cable. Result: you both get 20+ digital channels.

If you are at all handy, the mounting is easy. I just drilled 4 holes
(1/2" iirc) with a masonry bit, into the chimney, knocked in some lead
'rawl' plugs and mounted the pole stand-offs with lag bolts. The upright
is a 10' length of chainlink fence pipe. The antenna is clamped to the
top of it, and is centered about 8' above the top of the chimney. Been
there 4 years now, without problems. Total cost, including the
ChannelMaster 8-bay antenna and all the parts was less than $200
including tax.

Getting 14 free digital high-def channels and 6 standard def channels:
priceless.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury