[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:46:51 UTC 2011

On 12 September 2011 23:21, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Warpme wrote:
>
>>Initially I was using Debian, but soon I observe that I have 10G OS
>>part with tons of software where only 20% is relevant to things
>>running on server. The same for files on system HDD. I like
>>orderliness so I decide to trash Debian based solution and build
>>something where I will have all under my control.
>
> Eh ?
> Debian does **NOT** install 10G of stuff unless you tell it to ! My
> Debian backend runs with less than 1G on the OS volume :

Yup, I can confirm this too. Just been playing with netbooting a
frontend. Used debian 6 as the base OS, and my netboot OS is 2.3 gig
in total.

This includes all the dependencies needed to build myth (including the
compilers), only minimal Xorg, no window manager, no desktop
environment. It's only a frontend so no MySQL either, but that'd only
be another 60-70MB.

If you ignore the 1.2G of space used by the myth compile the base OS,
with myth installed is 1.1G

Cheers,

Ian