[mythtv-users] Switching from cable to OTA?

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:01:56 UTC 2011

On 9/13/2011 11:31 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 09/09/2011 06:57 PM, Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
>> Let me rephrase.  I live in the same building as my landlord and I
>> don't know what is permitted yet.  I am going to assume he's not gonna
>> be cool with me modifying the crap out of his house, which is why I'm
>> aiming for an indoor setup for starters.
> Maybe you should think about approaching the matter from the other end.
> Does the landlord have a flatscreen TV or one with a digital tuner? It's
> quite likely.
>
> You may want to start with a cheap indoor setup, but if you can get a
> good OTA signal on *any* channel, you could then show him how great that
> is ( a football game would be a good draw or maybe Nascar) and offer to
> buy the bits necessary to mount a good external antenna on the chimney
> and split off a feed to his apartment.

I second this. The quality of a digital OTA signal is unmatched by
cable. Anyone seeing it after watching HD on cable will be quite
impressed. I am of course assuming that your landlord has cable...

You might also mention that not having a cable bill will enable you pay
you bills, like the rent, a little easier...