[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 21:03:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Robert McNamara
>> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In Comcast terminology, you want to request
>>> that they check the provisioning of the CableCard-- have them check a
>>> specific channel which is not clearQAM and not showing subscribed (I
>>> suggest virtual channel 122 from above). Then request a "DAC Init"
>>> and/or a "Grand Slam Init" which should force any necessary firmware
>>> upgrades, do pairing, etc.
>>
>> I just got off the phone with them.  The person I was speaking to
>> wouldn't send the Grand Slam Init signal.  He said it was too powerful
>> and could actually blow the whole box (his words).  He tried several
>> "softer" init signals, but nothing had any effect and instead insisted
>> that the best way to resolve this would be to send a technician to my
>> house to configure the card.  I have the appointment on Monday.
>
> Complete bullshit.  CableLabs certified devices are required to
> respond properly to any init they send, including a Grand Slam.
>
> Call back, get another person, repeat as necessary.  Note that if
> you've called outside of business hours, you've encountered the idiot
> night crowd :)

are these for people who can't get the cards to work at all?
My issue is with certain channels that should be copy freely but never
have been in my area (even over firewire, which I now no longer use
because of the Ceton card).

I sent the email, got a response back that a local person would be
contacting me "tomorrow" (today), so far no call...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!