[mythtv-users] MythTV and Hauppage HVR-950Q

Rob Davis rob at davis-family.info
Fri Sep 16 03:04:20 UTC 2011

On 15/09/11 14:45, James Cobban wrote:
> I am extremely frustrated trying to get MythTV to work with the Hauppage
> HVR-950Q.  As I scan the forums and mailing lists I see thousands of
> people with support issues with this product.
>
> I am trying to run MythTV 0.24 on Ubuntu 11.04 receiving OTA ATSC
> signals from rabbit ears.
>
>  1. When I try to configure the HVR-950Q I am not given the option of
>     scanning for channels.  I have tried setting after setting, and that
>     option is NEVER enabled.

There are multiple types of 950Q with the same name and different
chipsets.  What revision is it?  It will probably say on the sticky
label on the underside of the usb device..

Get the card working first, then try it with MythTV.  When the computer
boots or the card is inserted, dmesg does dmesg say?  It's likely you're
either missing firmware or something else went wrong (new card with no
driver support).

Do you have a /dev/dvb/xxxx tree, and if so what do you have under adapter0?

Assuming you have all this, it will appear as a dvb device in mythtv
setup.  You can follow instructions for any ATSC/QAM card.

I would forget the NTSC part of the card for the time being.  Although I
think I got this working at one point on analog cable with tv-time it
was a huge kludge..

--

Rob Davis