[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 PCI-express cards

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:11:16 UTC 2011

On 19 September 2011 10:55, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
> i have the TBS6891 model.
> the card itself is perfect. i really cant rate it highly enough.
>
> the supplied remote is not upto par for mythtv use though (it lacks playback
> controls).
>
> however, TBS drivers do have issues LIRC 0.9.0 and i think later kernels
> (ubuntu 11.04>). i havent done enough testing to work out exactly where the
> issue is.
> long story short, isntall TBS drivers, install mythbuntu 11.04, and you dont
> get a working 'MCEUSB' remote.
> there are many TBS users waiting for TBS devs to update their drivers (new
> drivers due out this month which fix 'ir remote issues'), but we're stuck on
> ubuntu10.10/lirc 0.8.7.
>
> from what i can gather, this is an issue soly related to the mceusb module.
>
> just be aware of that, and either look for another remote (serial/imon
> maybe?) or be prepared to use a slightly older linux distro to ensure it
> works.

Thank you for this. TBS seem to be making good cards now. I think TBS
have overtaken Hauppauge in the DVB-S sector now as far as quality of
the PCI/PCIe cards.
Fourtunately, I use one box for the backend, and a different box for
the frontend.
The backend has the HD storage and DVB cards. I might even be moving
to a separate box for the DVB cards sometime. I could then put the DVB
cards up right next to the dish, and this would improve the loss and
S/N ratio.

The frontend just shows stuff on the TV and transfers content form the
HD storage over ethernet cables.
The main reason for the separate boxes, is I can have a nice quiet box
for the frontend, and have the noisy fans in another room.
So, having the remote control eye plugged into the DVB card is not
particularly useful for me.
I would quite like a converter that would convert the 3.5 mm jack from
the eye to a USB interface to plug into the frontend. That would save
me purchasing USB eyes separately. I have not found one yet though.