[mythtv-users] MythTV and Hauppage HVR-950Q

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Sep 19 19:13:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> This is the sort of place where I have to side with the poster... how is
> he (or I) supposed to know that?  I haven't a clue what "Terrestrial
> (8-VSB) Modulation" is.  That sounds like television signal jargon that
> only television techies would understand.
>
> Why can't this TV tuner/channel scanning be easier for the average Joe?
>
> Yes, I get that MythTV serves many markets with lots of hardware, but a
> database of what technologies are available where with different types
> of hardware (which obviously could be built by the user community --
> where the first guy has to apply "brute force" scanning, at worst), so
> that somebody can at least get started by telling MythTV his
> geographical location would be so helpful.

I cannot agree more.  I do this stuff all the time so I know what the
fields mean, but any regular user unfamiliar with the technologies
behind television are going to be clueless.

Suggestions:

Rename "8VSB" -> Digital Over-The-Air
Rename "ClearQAM" -> Digital Cable
Rename "DVB" on the device type selection -> Digital TV ("DVB" is
inherently a misnomer since it applies to other digital standards as
well)
Rename "Video4Linux" on the device type selection -> Analog TV

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com