[mythtv-users] Multirec-capable hardware? (was: 3 Mux but recording schedule indicating using 4 tuners?)

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Tue Sep 20 10:57:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Vincent McIntyre
<vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been following this multirec discussion with interest.
>
> There's something I'm not clear on though and perhaps this is because
> I've missed something basic. How does one find out if one's hardware
> is _capable_ of recording more than one channel from a multiplex?
> Aside from just mucking about & trying it, of course... is there some
> indication given by lspci or the hardware manufacturers spec sheets, etc?
> In other words, when you are setting up the card and get to the
> 'number of recordings' field of the advanced settings page, what's
> the process people use for figuring out what value to insert?
>
> In my case I'm looking at DVB-T muxes only.

It's got pretty much nothing to do with the DVB-T hardware - the
hardware has to tune the whole mux anyway, it's up to the software to
decide what to do with it. (I think some hardware, HDHomerun's IIRC,
do a little more processing and don't pass the whole mux, but they
have multirec support at another level anyhow).

Essentially you can set it as high as your CPU (scheduler performance)
and concurrent disk write speeds will allow. Obviously it makes no
sense to set it higher than the maximum number of channels on a mux -
in Australia that's around 5. I've got each of my three tuners set to
4 and it's always been sufficient.

- Chris