[mythtv-users] OT? Shuttle + ProRAID or Obsidian case for i3/i5 Myth BE ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 23:50:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On 9/21/2011 19:26, linux guy wrote:
> > Is anyone using a Shuttle and liking or hating it ?  I've looked at
> > them for a long time and never pulled the trigger on one.
>
> I wouldn't bother with a shuttle or any other similar SFF machine unless
> I intended it to sit on my desk or next to my TV, such that a small
> machine would be aesthetically needed.  I have similar wireframe shelves
> bolted to my basement walls and just have standard beige boxes sitting
> on them.

I can live with that and, in fact, started out with a Dell mini tower.  The
problem with that is needing 4 or more drive bays. (  1 OS drive and 4 x
1+TB data drives.)  The mini tower then becomes a mid tower.

I also HATE getting drives in and out of towers when they are buried in the
front of the case.  Enter the Obsidian, with sides that open with 2 latches,
side removable drive bays, etc.

However, the Obsidian is huge and it isn't going to be nice to move if its
sitting on a server shelf.  In fact, the Obsidian is too large to sit on the
wireframe shelves.  And its too heavy and bulky to move on and off those
shelves, to say nothing of the cabling hassles of doing so.

My work around for that was to put it on rollers and put it on the floor.
Then I could roll it out whenever I wanted to work on it.

A 4 bay drive caddy gets around all these issues IF the RAID is acceptable.
Which it doesn't appear to be.

Id rather work on a Shuttle with an  external 4 bay hot swap drive enclosure
over an Obsidian any day.