[mythtv-users] Couple of issues with a new install...

Dan Armbrust daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 19:30:48 UTC 2011

So, a couple weeks ago, my OCZ SSD drive that hosts the OS of my Myth
TV box went bye bye.  Sigh.  <placeholder for rant on horrible quality
and technical support from OCZ goes here>

When the replacement drive finally arrived, it was a good opportunity
to just start from scratch.  The old Myth install had been through
many upgrades... and it was hard to tell if some of the flakey issues
I still saw were due to my configuration or Myth problems.

So, as of today, I have a fresh, clean, updated install of mythbuntu.

Currently running:

MythTV Version   : v0.24-243-g9ba3ece
MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24

A couple of things I have noticed:

The "Advanced Audio Configuration" that is supposed to appear when
configuring up an optical connection, etc - is still broken.  I
reported this years ago... but I think someone closed it as can't
reproduce, or something.

When I select my toslink audio output, I see the border for the
section appear.  And I can keyboard through the two checkboxes which I
know are there - and the description of the two check boxes appears at
the bottom of the screen when I go through them.  But I can't _see_
them.  They are completely hidden from view.  I have no idea if they
are selected or not.  I've tried about 5 different themes... they all
behave in the same, broken way.  This is completely reproducible on my
system... so let me know what I can do to help this actually get
fixed.

Another thing that started happening a while ago - and continues to
happen with my fresh install is that myth sometimes records the same
program, twice, at the same time.  Using two different tuners.  Last
night, for example, it did this on about 30% of the shows it was
configured to record.

It was told to record the Big Bang Theory - At any time on channel X.

This morning, what I discovered was that is recorded it once, from
6:59 pm to 7:30 pm.  Then, it recorded it again from 7:00 pm to 7:30
pm.

Sometimes, it misses by far more than a minute, as well.

This morning, it recorded a program from 6:30 am to 7:00 am.  It also
recorded a second copy of this program, starting at 6:41 am, and
stopping at 7:00 am.

Something else that is new with my reinstall - sometimes during
playback of scenes that use fast motion, I can see the lower half of
the screen seem to be behind, or torn to the side about 20 pixels.  I
never used to get this.  I have a powerful system, and a nVidia card
running vdpau full.  What should I do to debug this?

I also see the frontend log file full of stuff like this:

Application asked to unregister timer 0x7d000006 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x7d000006 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x7d000006 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x7d000006 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x7d000006 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x71000002 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x71000002 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x71000002 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x71000002 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x71000002 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.
Application asked to unregister timer 0x71000002 which is not
registered in this thread. Fix application.

And finally, does anyone else get weird pops / static bursts during
audio playback?

On certain shows - I think only on the ones that I are broadcast in
stereo - I get about a 1/2 second burst of static mess from my
surround speakers ever 20-30 seconds.    Some sort of a problem with
the upmix feature, perhaps?
It works perfectly for shows that are broadcast in 5.1.

Thanks,

Dan