[mythtv-users] Play from DVD drive in remote machine

David Madsen david.madsen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 20:47:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Erik Jensen <eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com>wrote:

> I am currently driving my projector from an ION system in a rather
> inaccessible location. I would like to be able to pop a DVD into the
> drive of another computer and play it on the front end with minimal
> fuss. The closest I have gotten is using NBD (network block device),
> but playing a DVD is still rather complicated (insert dvd, play dvd
> locally with mplayer to unlock the drive, connect NBD, play DVD,
> disconnect NBD, eject dvd). What would be ideal would be a way to
> forward raw ATA commands over the network, allowing the front end to
> unlock the drive, eject the disc, etc. Does anyone know of a utility
> that would allow me to accomplish this?<http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>

If you haven't already got something working with one of the other solutions
presented, you could look into this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATA_over_Ethernet

It does more or less just what you were looking to do by encapsulating the
raw ATA commands into ethernet packets and forwarding them across the
network.  It doesn't run on top of TCP/IP so it is a bit more limiting than
iSCSI in that sense, but it is quite a bit simpler.  It should give the
appearance of the optical drive being connected directly to the remote
system once it is set up.

--Dave