[mythtv-users] How much can I power off my DCH-3200 when unused?

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 18:12:32 UTC 2011

> The DCH-3200 has a standby mode which should reduce its power draw.
> Have you tried measuring how much power is required when the box is in
> standby?  My understanding is that when the box is in standby mode it
> isn't tuned to any channel and decoding video, but it is still capable
> of receiving updates when in this mode, and should boot faster in this
> mode as well.  If the power draw is sufficiently low in standby, you
> might find it more reliable to keep it in that mode.
>
> If what you mean by "standby" is the mode the unit is in when you press the
power button, there is no significant change in the amount of power consumed
by the device.  I have measured this unit with a Kill-A-Watt meter and
verified this.  This STB (and most others) have been targeted as willful
power wasters.  It is an egregious waste of our resources.  Powering the
unit off via a power strip is the best way to combat this, but you will
probably miss updates which I have read people describing happening to their
units in the wee hours of the AM.  Perhaps a call to your cable provider's
customer service rep.  You should also try unplugging it for, say, 48 hours
and then plug it back in and see how long it takes to reconnect with the
head-end.  I have read some cable companies take upwards of 30 minutes to
verify and then download (reactivate) a dead STB.

I'd go the route of the HDHR Prime if I knew that I could get the same
programming that I get from my STB (and am paying for).

-- Ken E.