[mythtv-users] PXE booting (was Spin up delay for HDDs)

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 26 18:26:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:55:24 +0100
Alex Tomlins <alex at tomlins.org.uk> wrote:

> On 26/09/11 18:42, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> > Btw: You boot your FEs with PXE. How long does it take to boot them?
> > I'm thinking of PXEing my FEs too.
> I'm PXE booting one of my frontends (roughly following
> http://www.mythbuntu.org/wiki/network-boot-mythbuntu-diskless), and
> it boots in around 30 seconds. Around half of that is the Bios stage
> etc.
>
> I'm running this on a gigabit network, and before I upgraded the
> switch it was a fair bit slower, but still probably under a minute.
>
> The only problem I have with it is that suspend doesn't work
> properly. I think that's because the suspend process takes the
> network down too soon, and then the root filesystem is unavailable to
> continue the process.  Other than that it works well.

Oh, that's interesting.
Thanks for the link!

I have a frontent that boots from an old SSD (Super Talent UltraDrive
ME SSD 32GB) that takes about that amount of time as well.

Just for my understanding: When you want to update the OS for the
disk less system you build another PXE image with ltsp-build-client?

Cheers
Ramon