[mythtv-users] Spin up delay for HDDs

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Sep 26 20:10:49 UTC 2011

On 9/26/2011 15:57, Warpme wrote:
> On 9/26/11 7:42 PM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:19:07 -0500
>> digid myth<digidmyth at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I have 9 drives in my system with a 400 watt PS, see my configuration
>>> at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/492094#492094 I
>>> do not come close to the limits of the power supply on boot, so you
>>> should not have a problem.
>> Thanks for the info. It looks as if I could keep my PSU.
>> Btw: You boot your FEs with PXE. How long does it take to boot them?
>> I'm thinking of PXEing my FEs too.
> I have really good experience with PXEboot after switching image
> download from ftptp to gpxe.
> My image has 104MB, and via tftp IIRC it is downloaded about about
> 15-20sec (GB LAN).

Why the hell is your image so large?  The image should contain the
kernel, and the minimal amount of drivers and software needed to
bootstrap the remote disks and continue startup.  My old 32-bit NFS
images were around 2MB total.  My current iSCSI images are just shy of
6MB, which is kernel, busybox, iSCSI initiator, and assorted drivers.
Even my install images, which are a fully functional system loaded into
a memory disk, used to install systems from a remote package repository,
aren't that large.  Gentoo is around 65MB, and FreeBSD is under 40MB.