[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime and closed captioning

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Sep 27 13:06:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:39 PM, faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> wrote:
> Umm, this might be nit-picky, but it's not entirely accurate to say that component video doesn't support sending closed captioning data. If it's progressive scan (e.g. 480p), Devin is correct. But if it's interlaced, (e.g. 480i), then CC data CAN be sent. That's why I'm not giving up my DVD player and it's component out and why I switch back & forth between 480p and 480i output, depending on whether a DVD has subtitles or CCs.

Hello Helen,

Yes, you are entirely correct.  However to my knowledge the vast
majority of people out there are using the HD-PVR for *HD* component
capture.  So while what you're saying is true, it only applies to the
extreme minority of people who use the HD-PVR for standard def
component capture.

Also, it varies wildly as to which products will properly output CC
data even in standard def component, as well as which products will
properly receive it on input.  And of course there's no real way to
figure out which products do either correctly until after you bring
them home and try them out (except sometimes Internet discussion
forums for products, which can be unreliable in most cases since they
don't take into account details such as the TV's firmware revision).

Cheers,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs