[mythtv-users] PXE booting (was Spin up delay for HDDs)

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Sep 28 12:20:18 UTC 2011

> I recently found some Crucial m4 SSD's on sale for around $85 and bought two
> of them for my frontends.  I've never seen the ION be so responsive moving
> through the menus, etc.  What I thought was IR lag in the past was proven
> incorrect.  The ION was slow because of the crappy OS media (PXE+NFS or
> USB).  So far I've been happy with the local SSD in each frontend.

Are you sure it was the NFS that was the problem? Were the files for
your PXE stored on the server using a traditional hard drive or an
SSD? If it was a traditional drive, was that drive also used by
something else (your server's OS drive, or multiple frontends, or
maybe even your mysql database)? It would be really unfair to host
multiple systems on a single HD and then just claim that NFS was the
problem, when I'd suspect a more likely cause there was slower I/O
disk being overworked. Now if it was an SSD in the server that the
files were stored on, then I guess yeah...NFS would be my guess
(assuming you have no network issues otherwise).

--
Ron Frazier