[mythtv-users] OT: Zotac GT 520 PCI & PCIe x1

Scott Smith pickle136 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 28 18:40:32 UTC 2011

________________________________
From: Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net>
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Sent: Wed, September 28, 2011 2:30:55 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] OT: Zotac GT 520 PCI & PCIe x1

On 2011-09-28 1:18 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
><mailto:adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Richard Morton
>     <richard.e.morton at gmail.com <mailto:richard.e.morton at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > I think the OP was referring to a relatively low cost card, with a
>      > relatively well supported chipset using a PCI interface (or PCIExpress
>x1)
>      > R
>
>     according to this,
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_500_Series
>
>     29W TDP, supports Advanced 2X as well. I don't know how many 1080i
>     streams it can support (for future PIP/PBP support), but for a single
>     decode that's really good.
>
>     --
>

> I found a fanless PCI-express  version for $39.99 after rebate. Is this the new
>"best card" for a Mythbox these days? I may pick up a couple.
>

> Link:
>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1169122&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE
><http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1169122&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE>

That's the one I was just looking at on Zotac's website. Looks like it'd work
nicely. Any other feedback from others?

  -Ben

I bought a GT 430 around last Nov, and it has the same silent heatsink shown in
that picture. Be aware that at least with the GT 430 the heatsink curves around
the top of the card and is higher than pcb and slot braket. It just fit in my
case.

Also check out the review:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_520/
If ayone intends to use this other than for HD video decode and for games the
performance it pretty low.