[mythtv-users] Mixing dvb-t2 and dvb-t tuners.

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 22:21:48 UTC 2011

Chris Simmons wrote:
>We've just gone through digital switchover here and I'm thinking of
>getting a dvb-t2 tuner to compliment my nova-t 500 dual dvb-t tuner.
>My question is how would I go about setting this up?  I currently
>use the rt xml grabber and would like to continue doing so.
>
>I'd guess I'd have to do this
>1) Make a new dvb-t2 source (I've got one called dvb-t2) and connect
>the new tuner to it.
>2) Make a second rt-xml config that includes hd channels for dvb-t2.
>
>Or perhaps I should just shunt it all under one input source?  I'd
>imagined that this would result in it trying to record dvb-t2 stuff
>on the dvb-t devices though.

Last bit first - no you can't put them all in the same input group !

I believe what you need to do is define an input for DVB-T devices,
and another for DVB-T2 devices. Do channel scans for both - so one
input picks up the SD only channels, the other picks up SD & HD
channels.

I'm not sure what this does for channels listings - ie whether you
end up with duplicate channels. If you do get duplicates, make sure
that each channel is the same channel number and callsign for both
inputs (eg BBC1 is Ch1 for both).

I think you then just use one RT grabber instance and include the HD
channels in it.

It should then "just work". HD recordings won't get schedules on the
T inputs as they won't have the channels listed against them. While
SD recordings will get schedules on both the T and T2 inputs.

One minor complication is that you'll need to configure Udev to make
sure that your cards have consistent names - otherwise it's possible
for your T and T2 tuners to swap round and then you'd get failed T2
recordings.

--
Simon Hobson