[mythtv-users] Playback problem

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 11:12:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/2012 01:21 PM, Daniel wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I've seen a similar problem on my setup using VDPAU and only on certain
>> channels (with a highly compressed video stream). I tried several
>> different
>> solutions (e.g. adjusting X-server settings, vdpau-options). What finally
>> helped me out was to upgrade to 0.25 and select OpenGL video decoding.
>> The
>> rendering could be left at VDPAU without problems.
>

> I think you mean ffmpeg/standard decoding with VDPAU render.  (Since VDPAU
> is both a decoder and renderer and OpenGL is only a renderer and
> ffmpeg/standard is a decoder.)  :)
>
> FWIW, I'm using the same setup (ffmpeg/standard decoding and VDPAU
> rendering) with 0.24-fixes because I got occasional glitches
> (blockiness/pixelation and stutter and pauses) using VDPAU decoding.
>  Playback is perfect when I don't use VDPAU for decoding.  I assumed it was
> slightly-glitchy video or some issue VDPAU has with the particular encoding
> options used by my broadcasters.
>

> Mike

This has been my experience also.  Actually got this trick from Micheal :)

I do all OTA HD recording.  Was seeing most of the pixelation from
wbbm in Chicago.  It's the only station in Chicago that is still
broadcasting VHF.  So I have a feeling it's the broadcast quality.

When I built my new front end  purchased a higher end video card
(Gigabyte GT430) but that only exaggerated the problem.

Lucky for me when I upgraded from a Zotac MB 9400 nvidia chipset to a
Gigabyte MB  running phenom dual core 3ghz it could handle the
increased cpu usage.

ffmpeg/standard decoding with VDPAU render is crystal clear

It's a shame the VDPAU filters can't fix this