[mythtv-users] Am I cable card ready?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:32:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 05:59, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... But it should still be fairly simple to get it re-paired as
> long as I can get a hold of the right tech support person though,
> right?

One must first understand that to support the CableCARD, there
is a process known as pairing.  The CableCARD and the host
device have fixed serial numbers.  When a CableCARD is plugged
into a (new) host, it creates a "magic" value shared between the
CableCARD and the host device.  This value will be different each
time a (new) CableCARD sees a (new) host.  Once created,
it is stored in each (to handle the restart issue).  To "activate"
a CableCARD, the head end needs to be told to address the
CableCARD and the "magic" value to authorize.  Moving the
CableCARD to a new host device means a completely different
"magic" value that needs to be authorized and configured at
the head end.

There are three parts of the answer.

0) Is it "technically" possible?  Yes, the physical CableCARD can be
moved, and, as you say, a CableCARD is a CableCARD.  It is just
a matter of turning your RNG100 into a useless brick (you cannot
move the CableCARD back after it repairs and is provisioned and
authorized for a new host unless you then go through the entire
provisioning process after you move it back; no cableco supports
that to the best of my knowledge for their STBs, they just give you
a new STB and deal with the repairing off-premise) and getting the
provider to update all their records accordingly.

1) Will any cableco allow you to provision one of their STB
CableCARDs into another box?  None to the best of my
knowledge.  Their database of CableCARDs are locked in
such a way to know that a CableCARD with serial <n> is
in one of their STBs with host device <m>.  They expect to
be able to receive their STB back in fully operational
condition (including the CableCARD), although, as stated
above, they mostly just throw returns into the pile for later
repair/refurbishment.  If you tried to return a STB without a
CableCARD they would bill you for some outrageous "lost
item" charge.

2) Might you be able to get a CSR to issue the commands?
Unlikely, since in their database they have the list of CableCARDs
that have been issued to you for OCUR devices (that means
Tivo, HDHomeRun Primes, Ceton, ATI, etc.) that they can
provision for you account.  The CableCARD from the STB is
not in that list.  It is in the "other" list of CableCARDs issued
with a STB.  Is it possible that you could convince one of
the CSRs to correct the "error" in their records?  Maybe.
But I would not expect that it would "stick".

If you want to go the Prime route, I recommend (as others
have stated) going down to the local office, picking up a
CableCARD (usually about $5-$10/month), setting up the
Prime, and once you are satisfied, return the RNG100
(saving, usually, about the same $5-$10/month).  This
accomplishes what I think is your goal, without the (likely)
lost time of trying to get Comcast to do things they do not
support, and allows you the overlap to not having everything
broken at the same time.  Note that moving to the Prime
only (not STB) you will lose those things that a two-way
STB provides, such as on-demand, ppv, and access to
any of the premium "copy once" shows (Starz, Showtime,
HBO, etc), should you subscribe to those (at least with
MythTV; Windows can do "copy once").  None of those
might matter to you (with rare exceptions they do not matter
to me), but you should be aware of what you will not get.

Gary