[mythtv-users] Silly Question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 3 16:58:10 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 12:46 PM, A Desai wrote:
> I have a question:
> * Currently I have my myth recording via my Comcast Cable. If I
> disconnect my cable, will I still be able to get the basic channels
> (ABC, NBC, WLS, WGN, CBS) - I heard that the basic channels are
> supposed to be free?
>
> Thank you.

If you disconnect cable, you will need to get your local channels from
another source, such as an antenna.

In analog days, cable companies offered a basic (or lower) level
subscription for people who only wanted the local channels (usually for
$10/mo).  I'm not sure if they do the same thing, now, in the age of
digital TV.  However, they are not required (or expected) to provide any
service free to people who are not customers (that's what broadcast
over-the-air TV is for).  Check your cable company's terms for details,
but unless you're paying them something, you almost definitely are not
allowed to pull any signal from their cable lines.

Mike