[mythtv-users] Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 4 00:25:54 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 04:50 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>      >  Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:24:37 -0400
>      >  From: "Michael T. Dean"<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>
>      >  Now that VL has great metadata support, you'll get title, subtitle,
>      >  description type information (and much more)--just like you had in WR.
>      >  Though the description will differ (from TMS's copyrighted description),
>
> This caught my eye.
>
> Are you saying that VL drops the description?  I would imagine that
> there are a ton of recordings that would fail to have any thetvdb
> description at all, because they're obscure one-shots, etc.
>
> This sounds like it's being done to get around a TMS copyright claim
> ---or rather, that keeping it in VL it would violate their copyright,
> but keeping it in WR wouldn't.  That seems curious, considering that
> the same could be said about the entire -recording-, which is someone
> else's copyright.  If the project deems that keeping the recording
> around is fair use (without which, Myth wouldn't exist), what's the
> deal with its description?
>
> Or is it just dropping TMS's description when there's an alternate
> from thetvdb, and otherwise hanging onto it?  [Perhaps this would be
> obvious if I already had a 0.25 installation, but obviously I don't.]

It's just saying that VL gets descriptions (and other metadata) from
thetvdb.com or themoviedb.org, not from TMS program listings.  If you
put the TMS description into VL, then it will be in VL, but you can't
put the TMS description into ttvdb.com or tmdb.org because doing so
would be a violation of TMS's copyright.  Therefore, you'll likely
either use the metadata that's already on ttvdb.com/tmdb.org for the
show or--if it's not there, yet, and you want to help to ensure there's
good metadata for anyone else recording the show--you'll write your own
description so you can put it on ttvdb.com/tmdb.org.

Mike