[mythtv-users] Weird HDMI problem

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 23:49:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 20:37, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wish I could find some detailed description of the fglrx options like
> the
> > ones for radeon driver given above ...
>
> AFAIK there is no good documentation.  If you run
>   aticonfig --help
> there are a log of configurable options that eventually
> get set in xorg.conf, but under different names than
> the aticonfig uses, so about all you can do is change
> one option at a time using aticonfig and see what the
> xorg.conf file looks like (there are some options to
> force ports to be always on, and some always off,
> and some values of screen sizes and horizontal
> and vertical rates that might be able to be set in a
> way to force a particular resolution; using the values
> from the logs when things work might be a hint).
>
> If you do figure things out, perhaps you should create
> an appropriate wiki entry (I have this vague recollection
> that there is a linux ati users wiki).
>
> Good luck.
>
> Gary

Just to report that none of the options I tried worked for me. Switching
off the power management deals with screen saver, monitor switching off and
things like that but can't fix the HDMI dead output. Unfortunately the
xrandr command I had biggest hopes for didn't work either.

The former LG TV must had been doing some HDMI wake up or something when
switching from TV to HDMI input. Or kept all outputs under power/active in
all times where is with today's power saving TV's this is not the case. I
guess it's just a bad combination of ATI driver and TV, the driver fails
waking up the HDMI and the TV not helping about this at all.

I also noticed that when switching from HDMI1 where MythTV is hooked on to
HDMI4 where my DVD surround system is connected and back also produces
blank screen.

I'll try to dig out something from aticonfig that might help. Any other
suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Igor