[mythtv-users] Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Fri Apr 6 22:46:31 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 4:05 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Larry K<lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> It seems like some on this list are saying
>> that infrared can be done completely without LIRC these days, and, in fact,
>> it should be done that way. But then again, I see experts like Jarod talking
>> about v4l-utils (ir-keytable) in conjunction with native lirc, so it makes
>> me wonder what really is the best path forward.
> I've been struggling with this a bit myself, as things appear to be
> changing quite a bit.
>
> I believe that the current state is that IR reception can be done
> without LIRC, but if you want to do IR transmission to control a STB
> or anything else then you still need to use LIRC, so that's why Jarod
> still talks about keeping LIRC around for now.
>
>> Is there any reference or resource that exists to provide accurate,
>> up-to-date guidance on setting up IR in myth?
> If going without lirc, the point is that you don't set it up in myth.
> You set up your ir receiver to generate keyboard events that are
> indistinguishable from keyboard keystrokes.  In myth, you set up what
> myth does when it receives a given keypress, but this isn't IR
> specific.  The idea is really that the remote is really just another
> keyboard.
>
> For setting up the remote in general, you could follow this:
>
> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114124
>
> Eric

I was under the impression that the ir-keytable method was generating
keycodes that were outside the range that xorg could handle - that was
why we were still using lirc - has this been fixed in xorg?

Another reason I personally like using lirc layer is it makes it pretty
easy to map whichever remote button to whatever key you wanted - even
spawning scripts outside the app (via irexec) which is convenient if
say, mythfrontend locks up.  Can this functionality still be maintain
without lirc?

Andrew.