[mythtv-users] Kernel Crash when starting up in au0828-video.c line 895

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sun Apr 8 00:59:03 UTC 2012

On 12-04-07 08:56 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 12-04-07 08:53 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> ..
>> Here (attached, hopefully, is the /etc/init/mythtv.conf Upstart script
>> that I use for starting mythbackend -- free free to edit/rename it
>> to match what Mythbuntu calls it.  I use this in Xubuntu-12.04 prerelease.
>>
>> The /etc/init/mythtv.conf script invokes /usr/local/bin/reset_hauppauge_usb.sh
>> to do the dirty work.  That script is also attached.
>>
>> Finally, that latter script needs to perform USB resets,
>> which involves a very simple C program called usbreset.c (attached),
>> which you should compile and place the binary into /usr/local/bin/usbreset
>>
>> My scripts may assume free use of "sudo",
>> which I've configured in /etc/sudoers to never prompt for passwords.
>> That file is _also_ attached, but the critical line is this one:
>>
>>    mythtv  ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
>>
>> Cheers
>

> I should add that, even with the above workarounds, there is STILL an issue
> when mythbackend starts up:  If you have "multi-rec" enabled (more than one
> virtual tuner per physical HVR-950Q), then the backend will have several
> near-simultaneous "tune to initial channel" calls into the drivers.
>
> This will cause tuner failure.
>
> So, go into mythtv-setup and set the maximum simultaneous recordings per tuner
> to be exactly "1" (the default is "2").  A nuisance, particularly if you have
> only a single HVR-950Q, but at least it does make things a lot more reliable.

And while I'm at it, there are a couple of kernel patches that make this all
work a bit better.  First, this one to partially fix various tuning errors:

   30_au8522_tuning_fix.patch

And also this patch from me, to speed the firmware download to the xc5000
on the 950Q (only!) from 6.5 seconds down to a more reasonable 2.5 seconds:

   15_au0828_faster_i2c.patch

The first patch is winding it's way into a someday new kernel at the moment,
and the second patch is never going to make it there.  :)

Cheers