[mythtv-users] mythv 0.25 issues

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Sun Apr 8 19:52:40 UTC 2012

On 04/08/2012 11:47 AM, Scott & Nicole Harris wrote:
>>> So it is very strange that mythtv-setup does not create proper schema ?
>>> On new setup I had start mythbackend in order to get proper database
>>> config and then run mythtv-setup.
>>> Another issue is that I can't get lineup from schedule direct at all
>>> works fine with 0.24 fixes.
>>> I have pfsense running with antivirus and squid. I wonder if anyone has
>>> any idea on how I can fix that issue.
>>> Upgrading from 0.24 fixes to 0.25 creates database error issue.
>>
>> I had the db error issues as well.  I had to start mythbackend from the
>> command line to see what was going on then manually drop tables / columns
>> one at a time as it complained about it and failed until it stopped
>> complaining.  The problem is, if it fails part way through, but say has
>> already added a new table or a new column to an existing table, then next
>> time through, it isn't happy because things it's trying to do (again)
>> have already been done.

>Exactly, which is why, if you have a failed DB update, you need to restore
>the pre-upgrade backup and then try a new upgrade.  We don't support
>upgrading partially upgraded databases--because we have absolutely no
>checking for what failed and what succeeded and we don't have transaction
>support, so the schema is always in an unknown condition when a DB upgrade
>fails.

When I upgraded my production setups to 0.25, I spent 2+ hours that morning
on a fresh installation of Mythbuntu trying to get the upgrade to go
through, having it fail, restoring my original 0.24 db...rinse, wash, repeat
before I threw in the towel and manually addressed each issue it complained
about.  "Can't do x because y already exists" -> drop y, try again -> "can't
do a because b.c already exists" -> remove column b.c, try again, etc).
After about 5 iterations of addressing complaints, it finally succeeded.

>Of course, I'm always interested to see the logs of failed upgrades, too,
>so I can fix any underlying problems in our code (if it was that and not a
>broken DB schema/data that caused the failure).

I don't have those logs anymore because I have since moved my production
setups down to fresh installs of Mythbuntu 10.04 from 11.10 due to the
transcode issue I was facing