[mythtv-users] OT: Way to change channels on box over Internet

Raymond Norton admin at lctn.org
Mon Apr 9 13:22:33 UTC 2012

I have a project going that uses mythtv for recordings and vlc for live
TV. I am taking this approach because I am hoping to replace a
snapstream server that requires an annual maintenance contract.

The project may ultimately use two boxes, but for now everything is on a
single device.

In my testing phase (single box). I kill mythtv and stream /dev/video0
for live TV and fire up myth when recording programs.

All clients will access the mythtv box over the Internet. The one client
I am testing now is using Linux, connected to a flat screen via HDMI . I
am hoping to set users up with a USB MCE remote and configure it to
launch a channel changing script on the backend box, as if it were fired
off from a terminal locally.

  Just wondering if someone else is doing this that would have a working
example? My first assumption is that I would use irexec to do this, but
not sure how to configure things so, for example, a person could change
to a 3 digit channel.

I have ssh setup between the boxes, so no password is required. is this
the right track to take, or is there a better way to do accomplish what
I want to do? Ultimately, I will need to find a way for Windows and Mac
clients to change channels on live TV, but for now I would be happy to
get the Linux client working.

I am using an HVR-1600 tuner, with SVHS connected to a DirectTV STB via
a Commandir II device.

Thanks in advance

Raymond