[mythtv-users] OT: Way to change channels on box over Internet

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Apr 9 16:32:04 UTC 2012

On 2012-04-09, at 12:12 PM, Mitchell Gore wrote:

> Even if this was allowed how you would get video to stream over the internet with MythTV and have it get a decent picture would be well outside the focus of MythTV software.

Slight correction: with the 0.25 release this is well inside the focus of MythTV software. The new "http live streaming" (HLS) feature takes care of converting TV and video to a streamable form. The decent part depends on your outgoing bandwidth. What's left for you is to arrange outside access, advisably through a VPN, and to create some sort of web-based content browser to let clients see what's available and kick off streaming jobs and so forth.

There are a number of great features in 0.25 but that one in particular made me get up and applaud, take off my hat, bow in the direction of wherever, etc

- George