[mythtv-users] Problem upgrading from 0.24 fixes to 0.25 schema 1266 to 1299

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 11 06:54:22 UTC 2012

On 04/11/2012 01:18 AM, david.medland-slater at inbox.com wrote:
> Thanks Mike!  I got a couple of other errors which I cleared up by
> adding the following horribly inefficent statements and it seems to
> have burst into life OK.
>
> I shall keep that DB just in case.  That help was really appreciated
>
> ALTER TABLE oldrecorded DROP COLUMN future;
> alter table record drop column autometadata;
> ALTER TABLE record DROP COLUMN filter;
> alter table record drop column inetref;
> alter table recorded drop column inetref;
> alter table oldrecorded drop column inetref;
> alter table record drop column season;
> alter table recorded drop column season;
> alter table oldrecorded drop column season;
> alter table record drop column episode;
> alter table recorded drop column episode;
> alter table oldrecorded drop column episode;
> drop table recordedartwork;
> DELETE FROM recordfilter where filterid>=0 and filterid<=5;

All of the errors that would be "fixed" (worked around is a better word,
probably) by those statements are impossible /unless/ you're stopping
and re-starting the upgrade--such that when you stop it, you corrupt the
state of the database.  (And each of the changes

If a database upgrade fails--or is somehow interrupted (by killing the
backend/mythtv-setup or whatever), the only supported (and only
reasonable) fix is restoring the pre-upgrade database backup and then
trying again, but ensuring that nothing kills the backend/mythtv-setup
during the upgrade.

I would /not/ trust the state of my database if I were you.  I highly
recommend repeating the instructions I provided before and watching log
output when the upgrade is proceeding and ensuring that you/your start
scripts don't kill the upgrade.

I'm really starting to think someone wrote a seriously broken start
script that kills the backend or mythtv-setup or whatever after some
short(er than it takes to upgrade the database) time if it thinks it's
not responding.

I'm guessing the brokenness is in some mythbackend start script.  In
which case /every/ user on that distro should be using mythtv-setup to
upgrade their database (and I really home there's not a similarly broken
mythtv-setup start script).

Mike