[mythtv-users] Scared to upgrade to 0.25

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 12:02:12 UTC 2012

mythtvuser wrote:

>Because this machine is my main mythtv environment and my wife/kids
>are shooting me if i break the environment again for 2 days..:P I
>would love to hear if the iptv issues are solved (see ticket
>http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10493 for info) before i upgrade
>the environment.
>
>Could somebody confirm there are no issues with iptv anymore?

I doubt anyone can give such an assurance.

In cases where it's "mission critical" then your answer is to have a
test system. Clone you live system to the test system, then test the
upgrade there. If your test system upgrade goes OK, then do the same
on your live system.

Obviously making sure you have a completely up to date clone of your
live system will allow you to revert to how you were if it all goes
pear shaped. That can be as simple as shutting down the backend and
MySQL etc, then cloning everything but your recordings to either
spare space on your recordings disk or to another disk. There are
many tools to do this, my personal favourite being rsync.

So the process is :
1) Determine what you are going to do, and how you are going to
recover if it goes wrong.
2) Test it on a test system - which should be as close as possible in
setup to your live system.
3) IFF that test goes OK, then upgrade your live system.
4) And if that goes wrong, revert to how you were.

This should be the minimum for any upgrade on anything that you don't
want to risk losing. Yes it can be a pain, but I suspect the pain in
your ears if you "break TV" can be worse !

--
Simon Hobson