[mythtv-users] HLS file expiration

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Apr 11 12:36:39 UTC 2012

Hi, I notice that eventually the backend removes the files associated with an http live stream. Problem is it doesn't remove the database entry for the stream itself so it continues to appear in the list returned by GetLiveStreamList but when you try to use the associated FullURL it doesn't regenerate the stream on the fly. On my system (Mac & iPad) the player just hangs. That sounds like a bug, either the stream entry should be removed or its files regenerated on demand. Probably the first is the better option.

Also related is when you delete a TV recording its HLS files continue to exist. That sounds wrong since, without the recording's metadata, there's no way to know what a stream refers to. Probably the same problem exists with videos. I guess the right behaviour is to do a broad delete when source material disappears.

Personally I'd like control over expiration policy. I'm using streams as a way to have an iPad-compatible copy on tap while still keeping a full res version around for my main rig & it's not amusing when the iPad version gets yanked out from under me. It's not like I need the disk space.

I can open bugs but maybe there needs to be a brief discussion on what is the good behaviour?

Oh, also, the RemoveRecorded http api doesn't take a parameter for allow rerecord. The code seems to do a permanent delete. Is this an oversight or intentional? I'd like to have the option & might even be able to supply a patch if people agree.

- George