[mythtv-users] HLS file expiration

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Apr 11 21:36:23 UTC 2012

On 2012-04-11, at 12:06 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:

> There is no code to auto-expire HLS stream files.  The only cleanup done
> on these files is when you delete a stream which should delete the files
> along with the DB entry.  Perhaps you have something else cleaning up
> ~/.mythtv/tmp/hls.

Hmph, interesting. My "Streaming" storage group has folders on 4 of my 5 HDs and I do see stream files being written there. I don't manage the contents in any way other than HLS create/delete calls. Since I started playing with streaming I've noticed maybe a half dozen streams disappearing in this way but today was the first time I looked into it. The logs show the stream was created March 15 or 13 but nothing about deleting it. I know I played that stream in the last 4 to 7 days so the remove was recent.

The reason I suspect a reaper process is it's always the oldest or second oldest stream which disappears. Can you say for sure you've had streams survive on your disks for a month or more? Maybe I'll create a new stream, backdate the files six months, and see how long they last. Could a preview image pruner be running amok?

> The issue isn't ideas, it's time.  I haven't had time leading up to 0.25
> to add even 1/4 of the items on my HLS TODO list

Of course and it's understandable. Could you share some sort of roadmap? I mean unexpected bon bons are very romantic but I'd rather have a general idea of what sort of things are likely for this release, the next, etc.

BTW, is there some kind of web sockets event feed on this todo list? It would be good to be told when a new recording has started or one gets deleted. My recorded list is huge and constant polling would not be pretty.

>> Oh, also, the RemoveRecorded http api doesn't take a parameter for
> I think this was probably an oversight.  A patch to allow this should
> be welcome.

I'll see what I can come up with.

- George