[mythtv-users] Labels instead of Recording Groups

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Thu Apr 12 02:27:46 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012, at 5:36 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

> In an age where strict "folder based" organization is losing it's appeal, I
> find that recording groups are very frustrating.
>
> Both my personal and work emails are organized using labels (categories in
> MS Outlook).  I frequently assign multiple labels to a single email and
> when I click on the "folder" representing that label I see all the
> associated emails, even if they appear in other "folders" too.  I haven't
> moved email out of my inbox folder in years, opting to filter it with
> labels instead.
>
> Currently we have several hundred recordings, many of which 3 or more
> members of my family are interested in watching.  While we can mark an
> episode watched, or move it to someones recording group... there is no way
> to easily know if everyone interested has watched it so either it sits on
> the system until I can get everyone in the same room and go through them
> all... or we delete recordings that not everyone has seen; both options are
> frustrating.
>
> I would like to propose a bounty to have recording groups replaced by
> labels, similar to labels in gmail; I would be willing to contribute $40
> for this feature and would like to see if anyone else would be willing to
> add to it.
[snip]
| Anybody else want in on this bounty?

As gently an politely as I can muster while choking ... utter krap

It would seem that MS went out of their way to do everything opposite to unix everywhere they could.
THEY use directories WE'LL use tagged folders. That'll phkem.

All the standard tools eg tar not working on a directory of files but instead a gigantic sea of tagged files!
A whole layer of complexity to overcome a simple, elegant and functional system??

James