[mythtv-users] Flakey HD-PVR

Richard Ferrara sicrb25 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 12 03:10:36 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a HD-PVR and managed to get it working. The only problem is it's not working 100% of the time.

The main issue is that when I switch to the HD-PVR input (connected to a satellite STB via RCA front and composite), sometimes it will work (blue light turns on the device and streams), most of the time it will not. I have a workaround whereby a bash script runs the following command every three seconds "v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 --set-input=2 --set-audio-input=1". This will get it working around 90% of the time. I do notice that when it does actually work, the blue record light turns on once, turns off, turns on again and begins streaming.

I have also set the kernel module options to reflect the correct inputs.

I have selected the correct inputs in mythtv-setup and without the script it has around a 10% chance of running.

The firmware on the device is updated to the latest 3rd party firmware from the manufacturers website.

I upgraded to the latest firmware on the device and upgraded the kernel to 3.3 which resolves the saturation issues, but not my problem.

Downgraded the firmware back to the latest supported and my kernel back to mythbuntu 11.10 base.

I have tested this with S-Video connectivity and still the same problems, I am about to test with component connections as well.

Does anyone have this device running without issue???

Thanks!