[mythtv-users] Upgrading MythTV & Ubuntu at the same time: any benefits?

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Thu Apr 12 09:00:05 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 00:59, Ian Evans wrote:
> I currently run .24-fixes and Mythbuntu 10.10. Since I plan to upgrade
> to .25 shortly are there pros and cons to moving to the latest
> underlying Mythbuntu release as well, which at this time is 11.10? Are
> there any things in the latest Ubuntu that will make life easier for
> me or .25?

I also have Ubuntu 10.10 on my combined BE/FE with MythTV 0.24-fixes.
10.10 will not receive a MythTV 0.25 upgrade from the Mythbuntu repos,
unfortunately (see http://www.mythbuntu.org/mythtv/0.25). Annoyingly, if
I had stuck with my previously-installed 10.04 (the previous LTS version
of Ubuntu), I could have upgraded to MythTV 0.25 without changing my
Ubuntu version! I don't wish to install a non-packaged version of MythTV.

My current plan is to upgrade in small-ish steps. E.g. upgrade to Ubuntu
11.04, still with MythTV 0.24. Test for a few days. Then upgrade either
to MythTV 0.25, or upgrade Ubuntu to 11.10 (but not at the same time).
Test for a few days again.

Eventually I hope to be on Ubuntu 12.04 with MythTV 0.25. 12.04 is an
LTS version of Ubuntu, so hopefully I would be able to stick with that
for a couple of years, while still receiving packaged versions of MythTV
0.26, 0.27... from the Mythbuntu repos.

Cheers,

John

--