[mythtv-users] simultaneous viewing

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Apr 12 11:30:27 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 1:45 p.m., Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 4/11/2012 21:35, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>> Does anyone use VNC to have more than one machine display content from
>> MythTV? I have a machine in my kitchen (for recipes) with wired gigabit
>> between. I don't care about sound from the kitchen - I can turn up volume
>> on the main machine, but video would be good as long as it doesn't lag
>> badly. It's the start of hockey playoffs, and I record 3 or 4 games a
>> night, and a guy's gotta eat!
>
> Are you asking if you can use VLC to stream video? If so, no.

My understanding is that you can use VLC to unicast, dual cast, and
multicast a recording.  It takes some setting up but can be done, I've
done it, manually its fiddly as hell and multicast somewhat takes over
the LAN, presuming compatible hardware and no WiFi issues etc...

The best approach I am aware of to do this (after much help from a
number of people to understand the issues) is to write an app which
reads the master frontends position/recording and tell the second one to
mimic the master frontend and pull it in a coordinated fashion from the
backend.  I am thinking a webpage might be written to do this.

0.25 may have some increased possibility with the http thing, I've not
got to that yet.